Best selling author of “Who Am I After Sports”, and TEDX speaker, Darryll Stinson’s NFL dreams came to a halt while in college.
Opioid addiction almost derailed his life dreams but he managed to pivot in his career path and now he’s a successful international speaker, best-selling author, credential minister, award-winning philanthropist, and 2xTEDx speaker .
Darryll, as a division 1 athlete, was on track to join the NFL but a back injury side tracked his dreams. This led to a downward spiral and depression along with addiction to pain killers after his back injury.
Being hospitalized in a psychiatric hospital after becoming suicidal led to deeper insight and awareness around his mental health. He journaled for the first time and learned about mindfulness, all of which helped him transform his life.
Do you have a system of success AND a system of self care?
Incorporating a self care system along with his faith and mental health care helped him create success in his life.
Darryll Addressed the following during the interview:
· Can athletes with a strong athletic identity have plan B when they’re so driven to achieving their goals?
· Is failure or defeat ever an option for elite athletes? Is this why Tom Brady is unable to retire?
· Is there life after a failed athletic career?
· How to overcome repressed trauma.
· The effective way to journal and raise awareness regarding deeper emotions.
· The importance of finding the right therapist
· How to use affirmations and declarations to improve your mindset
· How improving your mental health can lead to inner and outer strength
· The importance of consistency in improving mental and physical health
· Why “Real men Don’t Cry” and how they can learn to stop suppressing emotions for healthier relationships and community
· Anger as the only acceptable emotion and how to go beyond the mask of anger to address the sadness and hurt
· How to use food to improve mood
· Don’t wait until you’re in crisis to prioritize your mental health and invest in your self care.
· Make sure you love people for who they are as individuals, and not just for their gifts or talents.
· We underestimate the positive difference consistent effort makes in our lives.
Darryll also addresses the Dream Big and Dream Beyond philosophy/method, which helps athletes plan for a transition outside of their athletic dream.
To learn more about Darryll, visit his website
Transforming Anxiety Course
Registration is now open for this online, self paced OCD course. Learn to transform your OCD from the comfort, privacy, and convenience of your home.
Top 10 Self Care Strategy
This useful guide will inspire you to take better care of yourself so you can be more present and available to those you love, enjoy your job more, and feel more positive about your life.
The strategies are easy to follow and implement in your daily life.
Click the button below to download this FREE guide.
Share Your Comments Below!
Mental Health Break Podcast
Information on this website is provided for informational purposes only. The information presented is the result of years of practice and experience by the author and her guests. This information is not intended as a substitute for the advice provided by your physician or other health care professional or any information contained on or in any product label or packaging. Do not use the information in this podcast or website for diagnosing or treating a health problem or disease, or prescribing medication or other treatment. Always speak with your physician or other health care professional before taking any medication or nutritional, herbal or homoeopathic supplement, or using any treatment for a health problem. If you have or suspect that you have a medical problem, contact your health care provider promptly.
Do not disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking professional advice because of something you have read or heard on this website. Information provided on this website and the use of any products or services purchased from our website by you does not create a doctor-patient relationship between you and any of the professionals affiliated with our website. information and statements regarding dietary supplements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug administration and are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.